Monday, April 19, 2010

Minimalism vs Intricate Details

So far in my posts i have captured the intricate details found in photographs and designs. This attention to detail really inspires my design work. However I do find the minimalist art, photography and design very interesting. The stripping back of the subject to its bare essentials presents a rawness and a sense of purity as i said in my last post.

I know these concepts contradict each other, but both inspires me, leading to my exploration of the combination of such opposing ideas in design practice. With that being said I stumbled along these beautiful photographs by Toby Keller, titled, Parking Garage Series. Keller has presented the car park to be a white blank canvas. This actually reminded me of photographs i took for a previous styling assignment. Titled, Underground Subconscious, in which the setting was an underground car park, the photographs presented the plain, empty structure of the car park juxtaposed the detailed designs of the clothes/styling, which represented the turbulent yet peaceful elements of the mind.

Underground Subconscious...I love this picture, hence why it is my header

No comments:

Post a Comment